Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dear Dead Days


A couple of years ago while I was hanging out with Dylan Williams and Chris Cilla in the comics section of Powell's Books in Portland, they handed me this amazing book by cartoonist Charles Addams. Addams is most famous for creating the Adams Family and generally creating very morbid gag cartoons. But this book, Dear Dead Days, is a scrap book of bizarre imagery mostly from the 1800's and early 1900's that he apparently drew inspiration from. There are freaks, torture devices, cadavers, train wrecks, creepy Victorian architecture, children playing with dead thins, and so on. The book was published in 1959 and I didn't find any signs of reprints when I poked around on the internet. But copies of the original look fairly easy to come by.








5 comments:

  1. I just bought that book at Powell's this weekend. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have that book
    1st edition
    want to borrow it??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Chambers, need I say more!

    ReplyDelete